WELCOME!

by Dr. Liz, October 1, 2021

mortarboards tossed in the air

In celebration of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Awareness Month, I hereby launch the “Crushing College with ADHD” blog! This blog is for current and potential college students with ADHD and the people who love them. It will be your source for information, tips, and strategies to help students with ADHD overcome the barriers they often face at school and help them to succeed both academically and socially at college.

ADHD Awareness Month LogoADHD Awareness Month was created to educate people about ADHD while also debunking the myths that surround it. The group behind the movement is the ADHD Awareness Coalition, a collaborative group made up of a few key ADHD organizations including:

This year’s theme is “Reframing ADHD: Discovering New Perspectives” and the Coalition will be presenting all kinds of Q&A, art, memes, stories, videos, and other resources. Visit adhdawarenessmonth.org to learn more.

There are more than 17 million people in the US with ADHD, and lots more worldwide. Being educated about ADHD is very important to people who have it, as well as people who love them, teach them, and employ them. The more people know, the more they will understand the beautiful brains of people with ADHD!

With more than 25 years in higher education, many of those as a faculty member, I have taught and tutored many students with ADHD, learning disabilities, and executive function issues. Over the years I have come to understand the process of requesting, getting, and using accommodations. I have also seen students struggle with the new-found freedom of college, planning and scheduling based on course syllabi, and self-advocating with faculty and other college administrators. This monthly blog is a way for me to share my expertise and experiences with you on an ongoing basis.

Look for ADHD strategies, stories, ideas, and more, all geared toward achieving academic and social success.

Blog topics designed to help college students with ADHD succeed will include:

• Acknowledging strengths and core values.
  • Identifying and combatting common barriers that can cause overwhelm, stress, and anxiety.
  • Utilizing self-advocacy skills.
  • Navigating the academic accommodation process.

The more you know about ADHD and how it affects you, the more equipped you are to address your challenges and overcome your barriers. Go learn things!

Specific questions and topic suggestions can be emailed to questions@ADHDinCollege.com.

SUBSCRIBE

Join my mailing list to receive updates on the latest blog posts and other things.