Stopping Negative Self-Talk

by Dr. Liz, November 21, 2021

mortarboards tossed in the air
clip art of thought bubble saying I'm not good enough

I’m a failure. I’m a joke. I’m so stupid. I’m not good at anything. This negative self-talk has many names – the inner critic, the judge, the gremlin, self-criticism – but whatever you call it, it’s an inner voice that “judges you, doubts you, belittles you, and constantly tells you that you are not good enough” (Vilhauer, 2016). And trash-talking yourself is stressful, can squelch your self-confidence, and can get in the way of your success.

The ADHD Brain and Negativity

diagram of brain showing pre-fontal cortexFor someone with ADHD, the prefrontal cortex of the brain is unable to regulate the thoughts and feelings that stream in and out. They tend to rely on emotions to make decisions. This means they tend to be hard on themselves and are quick to judge themselves negatively, which can lead to feelings of guilt and shame.

Origins of Negative Self-Talk

Negative feelings about ourselves start when we are children. They can come from parents, caregivers, family members, or influential adults like teachers or coaches. If a child with ADHD is constantly told to sit still, be quiet, try harder, or to stop being lazy, for example, the feelings of being “bad,” “wrong,” or “less than” become internalized and self-esteem can plummet. If an adolescent is constantly compared to a sibling and comes up short, struggles under a demanding teacher, or has negative experiences in personal relationships, these experiences can contribute to negative self-talk that mimics all those message received from others (Golden, 2019). As we age, this negative self-talk can encourage perfectionism, which results in more negative self-talk when perceived perfection is never attained.

Consequences of Negative Self-Talk

man sitting on bed with head in hands Our inner voice provides a way for the mind to process and interpret our daily experiences by “combining conscious thoughts and unconscious beliefs and biases” (Psychology Today Staff, N.D.). When the inner voice is negative, it does not reflect the truth. Thoughts are not facts! Dwelling on the negative can be damaging in several ways, including feelings of helplessness, decreased motivation, and increased risk of mental health problems like anxiety and depression. This negative inner voice limits thinking, becoming a self-fulfilling prophesy – if you keep telling yourself something is true (even if it not), the more it seems true to you. Soon you can’t see or capitalize on opportunities and the ability to succeed is severely hampered (Scott, 2020) as you become frozen and unable to move forward.

Accentuate the Positive

photo of hands holding a smiley face How we speak to ourselves is very important. Research shows the benefits of positive thinking, both for physical and mental health. Physically, a positive attitude helps you to be healthier by lowering blood pressure, increasing immunity, and making it easier for you handle pain and stress. Mentally, positive thinking puts you in a better mood, helps you be more creative, improves problem-solving skills, and clears your thinking so you can cope with distressing situations (Sherwood, 2020). Negative self-talk undermines your self confidence and your ability to make positive changes in your life. So replacing the negative thoughts with positive thoughts can help you believe in yourself and your abilities (Scott, 2020). First you need to recognize and acknowledge the negative thoughts, then you need to replace them with more positive ones.

Recognizing and Acknowledging Negative Thoughts

man in hoodie sitting on floor with negative thoughts spilling from head Recognizing and acknowledging negative self-talk can help you prevent it. In his book Positive Intelligence, Shirzad Chamine writes that our minds sabotage us. They can be our best friend but also our worst enemy. He developed the Positive Intelligence Quotient, or PQ, which measures the percentage of time your mind is serving you (working positively) vs. sabotaging you (working negatively). He believes that sabotaging thoughts can be identified and weakened, building up brain muscles by strengthening positive thoughts. By realizing and acknowledging when negative thoughts appear, it strengthens your brain muscles to help you stop the negative thoughts.

Neuroplasticity is “the brain’s ability to modify, change, and adapt both structure and function throughout life and in response to experience” (Voss, Thomas, Cisneros-Franco, & Villers-Sidani, 2017). Based on neuroplasticity research, when we replace negative self-talk with more positive thoughts, we strengthen the neuronal connections in our brains. This creates new brain patterns which lead to new habits in thinking and behavior (Golden, 2019).

image of hand selecting a smiley facePracticeWise, a behavioral health care company, has developed a system that helps people identify and redirect negative thoughts – “turning blue thoughts into true thoughts.” The B.L.U.E. stands for Blaming myself, Looking for bad news, Unhappy guessing, and Exaggerating. Once you identify a BLUE thought, your goal is to replace it with a true thought. You may say to yourself “I will never pass the exam next week.” That is unhappy guessing! You can instead say “if I study a couple of hours each day between now and the test, I will be able to pass it.” Telling yourself “I screwed up that whole interview” is negative exaggeration! Instead tell yourself, “I did a good job answering some of their questions.” 

Some people think it helps to name the inner critic to separate yourself from it. Have you heard the expression “once you name it, you can tame it”? No matter what you call it – Negative Ned, Debbie Downer, The Exaggerator – naming it can help you stop believing its lies and focus on the reality of the situation. Once you name it, you can talk back to it, put it in perspective, and stand up for yourself with positive thoughts (Vilhauer, 2016). Tell the voice “You lie, and I refuse to listen.” Reframe your thoughts into a more positive perspective.

Increasing Positive Thoughts

hand holding paper reading I can't do it with scissors cutting off the t of can't Choose to be kind to yourself! When you start thinking negative thoughts, acknowledge them, then stop and replace them with more positive ones. Negative thinking is a hard habit to break, and it takes practice. You have many positive traits and need to retrain your brain to recognize and appreciate them. Talking with someone you trust may help put things into perspective. If you have trouble thinking positively, just try for a more neutral thought. For example, when you think “I’m useless because I messed up my part of the project,” spin that to “I didn’t do very well on my part, but I know what I did wrong and will do better next time.” Be realistic but not self-destructively judgmental. Remind yourself of times when you were successful.

You Can Do It!

Negative self-talk serves no purpose and creates issues. You can train yourself to recognize and acknowledge your inner critic, naming it and stopping it. By practicing positive self-talk, you will be healthier, happier, and more self-confident which will lead to more success. To quote Roy T. Bennett, author of The Light in the Heart, “Accept yourself, love yourself, and keep moving forward. If you want to fly, you have to give up what weighs you down.” How you talk to yourself matters. Be kind and give yourself a break!

Thought bubble: https://psychiatristsnyc.com/blog/9-ways-to-stop-negative-self-talk
Pre-frontal cortex: https://www.flintrehab.com/prefrontal-cortex-damage
Man with head in hands: Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels
Hands holding smiley face: https://inbusinessphx.com/leadership-management/four-steps-to-thinking-positive-in-business#.YZsEMmDMI2w
Man in hoodie with negative thoughts: https://youthcrisiscenter.org/negativethoughts3steps
Choose happy face: https://www.healthshots.com/mind/emotional-health/heres-how-you-can-prioritise-your-emotional-health-in-6-easy-ways/
I can't do it: https://vebaresourcecenter.com/resolutions-positive-self-talk/

Specific questions and topic suggestions can be emailed to questions@ADHDinCollege.com.

SUBSCRIBE

Join my mailing list to receive updates on the latest blog posts and other things.